5 Top Tips for Maintaining Compressed Air Systems in Summer
Posted on July 23rd, 2020
Summer can wreak havoc with your compressed air system if preventative measures are not put in place to protect it from the rising temperatures. An increase of heat and humidity on a hot day, combined with the rapid cooling of the system on an evening, will create excess moisture. This moisture significantly increases water loading, which can cause a strain on performance.
Follow these 5 tips to prepare your equipment for the warmer summer months and avoid costly downtime:
1. Install the correct filtration and dry your air. A good filtration and drying system is essential to compressor efficiency all year round but especially important in the summer months. Warm temperatures through the day result in the system cooling down significantly at night, leading to moisture condensing in compressed air pipework.
The first line of defense in removing excess moisture is a Water Separator, which can remove as much as 99% of accumulated water at the point of installation.
Coalescing Filters can remove fine oil aerosols and particulate and condition the air to a level suitable for a compressed air dryer.
Desiccant Dryers are used to remove remaining water vapor.
2. Clean air and oil filters. Maintaining filters by removing any dirt or dust and servicing your filter elements will allow the system to run more smoothly and use less energy.
3. Change the oil. Heat and humidity affect the viscosity of oil, so changing it before summer starts will help to maximize its ability to lubricate the compressor.
4. Inspect drains. The rise in humidity levels in summer will mean that drains need to work harder to release the increased flow of condensate. Check all drains on tanks, dryers and filters to make sure they are functioning correctly.
5. Check ventilation. Make sure to properly ventilate your compressor room and adjust airflow appropriately. An increased airflow and good ventilation will help keep temperatures low and the compressor working more efficiently.